In addition to our selected favorites, ePodunk users suggest the following imaginary places:
Return to favorites.
- What about Shermer, Illinois, from just about every John Hughes movie ever made?
- The Broadway musical (and Hollywood film) Bye Bye Birdie takes place
(for the most part) in the bucolic town of Sweet Apple, Ohio. It has
been suggested that the authors modeled this imaginary town on Archbold,
- The Broadway musical (and Hollywood film) The Music Man takes place in
River City, generally believed to refer to Mason City, IA.
- Grovers Corner, NH, from Our Town by Thornton Wilder
- What about Stuckyville, where Ed lives?...I do watch the show on a regular basis, but I haven't figured out where Stuckyville is. I believe it is in the midwest, since it is green and fairly flat. There is one rather big hill that overlooks town, and a nice big lake, but other than that I don't know.
- "Rosebud", in the movie "Funny Farm" with Chevy Chase, was actually filmed in Townshend, Vermont. They killed the trees on the common with whatever they used to create the winter scene; so they had to replant new ones for the town. I used to live a few miles from this town.
- My favorite fictional town to read about is Mitford, NC, the subject of Jan Karon's series of books. Her novels about the town and its quirky residents are very funny and heartwarming. Mitford is an old-fashioned, Norman Rockwell kind of town with a good share of modern dilemmas. I imagine it as a southern version of Cicely, Alaska.
- We are looking for the town of Grady, in the movie Doc Hollywood with Michael
J. Fox. Think it was in the Carolinas. My husband wants to move there. Where
was it filmed or taken after? "Back to the interstate, Ben Stone, back to the
interstate". We know all the words to this film. Now we need to move there.
Sounds like a great place.
- On the series Rosanne, Lanford, IL is Rockford, IL. Street names, locations, surrounding towns, and even the picture for Dan's motorcycle shop are all Rockford locations.
- Frostbite Falls, Minnesota from the rocky/bullwinkle cartoon series.
- I'm in love with Stars Hollow, CT from Gilmore Girls. Anybody know where they film?
A: Stars Hollow is essentially a studio concoction, filmed mainly at Warner Brothers in Burbank, CA.
- Don't forget the infamous Cabot Cove, ME, from the TV series Murder, She
Wrote. Due to Jessica Fletcher's presence, it must be the murder
capital of the world. From 1984 to 1996 there were 264 murders What's
that, about 1 murder every two-and-a-half weeks? Then in 1996 the
murder spree stopped, except for one murder in 2003.
Send us suggestions.
Send us suggestions for the Imaginary Places page.